Goldman Sachs Trade Pitch
Deadline for Registration for the Goldman Sachs competition is 5pm on Friday, January 26th, 2018. See instructions below for how to register.
The objective of this competition is for students to learn how to create and justify a trade idea on behalf of a hedge fund. Students will work in self-selected teams of three to propose a unique trade (buying and/or short-selling specific securities), and create a 5 - 7 page powerpoint presentation with an explanation of the trade thesis. The top 10 teams will ultimately be invited to present their trade idea to a panel of Goldman investment professionals on the afternoon of Tuesday, February 27.
The Trade Pitch Competition is open to all Duke Sophomores, who will self-select into teams of three students. Students who are neither Economics majors/minors nor Finance minors are warmly encouraged to participate.
Teams participating in the competition will be provided extensive guidelines to assist in selecting a trade idea, and creating a powerpoint presentation for the Goldman Sachs Panel. The creators of the ten best presentations will be invited to make brief presentations to a panel of Goldman Sachs representatives. There will then be a reception for all teams that submitted reports. At this time, the winning teams will be announced and prizes awarded.
Summary and Deadlines:
1. The registration deadline is 5pm on Friday, January 26, 2018. To register your team, please complete all of the fields in the form at the bottom of this page, and click the Submit button.
Students who would like to compete but have been unable to find a team are welcome to send an email to Jennifer Valentyn (Subject: Goldman Sachs Registration: Single Applicant), including their full name, NetID, graduation year and major (or probable major). We will match up these "stand alone" students into teams of three.
2. Extensive guidelines will be made available on Monday, Jan 29. Please bear in mind that it would be a violation of the Duke Honor Code to receive any outside assistance on either a paid or unpaid basis from finance professionals or advisers.
3. The deadline for submitting a printout of your team's completed Presentation is Monday, February 19 at 12pm (.
4. Ten teams selected to present to the Goldman Sachs Panel will be notified on or before Thursday, Feb 22, and will have until Monday, Feb 26 at 12pm ( to edit their presentations and submit updated copies based on feedback from the DFE team.
5. The selected teams will present to the Panel of Goldman Sachs representatives during the afternoon on Tuesday, Feb 27 in the Griffith Board Room (main level of the Bryan Center).
6. All registered teams are invited to the Goldman Sachs Reception, which will be on Tuesday, Feb 27 from 5:30pm - 7pm [timing to be confirmed] in McClendon Tower 5. At this time, the winning teams will be announced and prizes awarded.
Fill out my online form.