Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Pratt School of Engineering
Kris Hauser is an Associate Professor at the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke University with a joint appointment in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department and the Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science Department. He received his PhD in Computer Science from Stanford University in 2008, bachelor's degrees in Computer Science and Mathematics from UC Berkeley in 2003, and worked as a postdoctoral fellow at UC Berkeley. He then joined the faculty at Indiana University from 2009-2014, where he started the Intelligent Motion Lab. He is a recipient of a Stanford Graduate Fellowship, Siebel Scholar Fellowship, and the NSF CAREER award.
In Fall 2019, I will be moving to the Computer Science department at UIUC.
Research interests include robot motion planning and control, semiautonomous robots, and integrating perception and planning, as well as applications to intelligent vehicles, robotic manipulation, robot-assisted medicine, and legged locomotion. More...
Fall 2016. ECE 383 / MEMS 442: Intro to Robotics and Automation
- K. Hauser. Semi-Infinite Programming for Trajectory Optimization with Nonconvex Obstacles. Workshop on the Algorithmic Foundations of Robotics (WAFR), December 2018.
- K. Hauser, S. Wang, and M. Cutkosky. Efficient Equilibrium Testing under Adhesion and Anisotropy using Empirical Contact Force Models. IEEE Transactions on Robotics, July 2018.
- K. Hauser. Bayesian Tactile Exploration for Compliant Docking with Uncertain Shapes. Robotics: Science and Systems, June 2018.
- K. Hauser and S. Emmons. Global Redundancy Resolution via Continuous Pseudoinversion of the Forward Kinematic Map. IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, 15(3): 932 - 944, March 2018.
- F. Wang, G. Chen, and K. Hauser. Robot Button Pressing In Human Environments . IEEE Intl Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018. ICRA video
- M. Draelos, B. Keller, G. Tang, A. Kuo, K. Hauser, and J. Izatt.Real-Time Image-Guided Cooperative Robotic Assist Device for Deep Anterior Lamellar Keratoplasty . IEEE Intl Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018. ICRA video
- S. Wang and K. Hauser. Realization of a Real-time Optimal Control Strategy to Stabilize a Falling Humanoid with Hand Contact . IEEE Intl Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018. ICRA video
- W. Zhang and K. Hauser. Single-Image Footstep Prediction for Versatile Legged Locomotion . IEEE Intl Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018. ICRA video
- K. Hauser and Y. Zhou. Asymptotically Optimal Planning by Feasible Kinodynamic Planning in State-Cost Space. IEEE Transactions of Robotics, 32(6): 1431-1443, 2016. Also in arXiv:1505.04098 [cs.RO], 2015.
- O. Ramos and K. Hauser. Generalizations of the Capture Point to Nonlinear Center of Mass Paths and Uneven Terrain. IEEE-RAS Int'l Conference on Humanoid Robots, November, 2015. Best Paper Award
- K. Hauser. The Minimum Constraint Removal Problem with Three Robotics Applications. International Journal of Robotics Research, 33(1):5-17, January, 2014. doi: 10.1177/0278364913507795
- K. Hauser. Robust Contact Generation for Robot Simulation with Unstructured Meshes. International Symposium on Robotics Research, 2013.
- K. Hauser. Fast Interpolation and Time-Optimization on Implicit Contact Submanifolds. In proceedings of Robotics: Science and Systems (RSS), Berlin, Germany, June 2013.
- C. Bennett and K. Hauser. Artificial Intelligence Framework for Simulating Clinical Decision-Making: A Markov Decision Process Approach. In Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, 57(1):9-19, January 2013. doi: 10.1016/j.artmed.2012.12.003.
Blog posts and other musings
- Should society regulate the irrationality of human nature? (2/22/2019)
- The 10 biggest technical hurdles in robotics (4/27/2017)
- A Convergence Result for the Baby Feeding Problem (1/19/2009). (I'll have to finish this at some point.)