BA 491 - Assignment 1a
Professor John M. McCann
Fuqua School of Business
Last update: March 1, 1995
This page describes the first assignment for BA 491. If you have any comments or suggestions regarding this page, please send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Overview of Assignment 1
Assignment 1a is an individual assignment:
- The point value is 20.
- It is due at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 25. Five points will be deducted for each 24 hour period the assignment is late.
- It consists of a single WWW page that must comply with the structure and elements described below.
- It must be accessible from your Duke acpub account in the public_html directory.
- It must be named assign1a.htm
- It must be accessible using the following URL - http://www.duke.edu/~acctname/assign1a.htm where acctname is your acpub account name.
The purpose of the assignment is to demonstrate that you have learned to create a WWW page using some specified, fundamental elements of the HTML language, create the necessary public_html directory on your acpub account, move your file to this account/directory, and make the file accessible on the WWW using the Netscape browser.
Assignment 1a - Content & Structure
For this assignment, you are required to create a single WWW document describing some product, service, company, or yourself. Although the specific content of the document is not specifically graded, it must be meaningful and coherent in its presentation.
The document must contain the following elements in the order outlined below:
- The title. The document must be titled Assignment 1a. The title must be enclosed in the proper html tags.
- The Header. The first line of text should be the name of the entity you are presenting. It should appear centered and be formatted as a first header level 1.
- Your name. The second line of text should be your name, centered under the header. Your name should not be formatted as a header of any kind.
- The update notice. The third line of text should be formatted as your name is. It should indicate when the file was created or updated.
- A Horizontal Rule. A horizontal rule should appear somewhere below this third line of text.
- Descriptive text. Provide text describing your subject. This text should contain the following formatting elements:
- At least one paragraph of text formatted specifically as a pargraph (using the <p> tag).
- At least one unordered list of at least three elements (using the <ul>, <li>, and </ul> tags).
- At least one ordered list of at least three elements (using the <ol>, <li>, and </ol> tags).
- At least one descriptive list (sometimes termed definition list) of at least three "definition" (using <dl>, <dt>, <dd> tags).
- At least one word or phrase formatted in bold (using the <b> and </b> tags).
- At least one word for phrase formatted as itlaic (using the <i> and </i> tags).
- Your e-mail link. You must end your page with a "mailto" link. This link must operate properly in allowing the grader to provide you feedback on your assignment and your resulting points. Using the HTML assistant software, this can be created using the "link" button and selecting the mailto URL prefix.
Return to the BA 491 Home Page.